Does anyone know how to activate a website - to make it work on exsternal server?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by yael4321, Sep 15, 2005.

1. hello!
    i'm stuck...i been programming like crazy...
    and now after i've finished i found out that uploading the webForms, the webUserControls, the styleSheets, the images and ofcourse the web.config file is not anough.
    do i need a setup project?
    and if i do, how shell i create it in order to make it work?

advanced thanks for any help,
    yael.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

yael,

i am not really sure what you mean. can you further detail your problem?

in addition, is this asp.net 2.0 related?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. yes, i believe so...

what i got since asking here - in order to upload a asp.net website i need to upload only the 'default.aspx' file and whatever is included in the 'bin' folder.
    my problem now: the visual studio 2005 does not make the bin folder...
    there is just the 'App_Data' folder and it's empty...
    when compiling the application it didn't make any file or folder besides the 'web.confing' file which is required for uploading even the default.aspx file...
    so umm...what shell i upload or look for uploadin or how to creat the setup file (if required) or...i don't know...how to upload an asp.net file to an external server?

4. Bruce

ASP.NET 2.0 by default do not create code behind dll. The code file is compiled on the server at access time.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. wow cool!
    umm...so it is related to asp.net 2...
    so umm...which of the files should i upload?
    cus, from what i've seen uploading the files categorized by their folders is not the right way of uploading asp.net website...

6. Hi,

You can try thecopy utility(menu option website/copy)to copy all files from your local pc to the server. This worked for me. I have also read where you can use the publish utility (build/publish) which will create dll files which you can then copy to the server.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

7. Bruce

.net 2.0 is still in beta. you probably can't find any production host that will offer it.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

8. Thank you!

umm...i'm not sure I've understoot it totally...could you explain it?

and umm...do you know of any (free - if posible)web hosting server which supports asp.net 2?
    (as much as it takes ages to find any server that supports the .net ...to find one that supports the .net 2 ...nearly imposible...)

9. blaaaaaa =P wel umm...

thank you!!! :)