Domain in Address Bar

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by assisitech, Apr 13, 2007.

1. My site (www.assisisoft.com) comes up as 'assisisoft1.web144.discountasp.net'.

How do I get it to come up as my domain (www.assisisoft.com)?

Is this an ISP hosting question or a Dot Net Nuke question?

Thanks,

Rich

2. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

Rich

If the alternative url is working, then our hosting system is working fine. To get your domain to resolve to our hosting platform, you will need to update your domain name server. Performing a whois lookup on your domain, the domain registrar is Network Solutions. We have a knowledge base article on how to update the domain name server with Network Solutions. See: http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10045

Eric
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

3. DNS is setup correctly on your servers. What now?

Rich

4. Takeshi Eto

5. It is already resolving. I did this last week.

There is different issue than DNS resolution here. For some reason, your servers are forwarding my domain on to the temp site initially setup. There must be a way for me or you to tell your servers to stop forwarding to that temp site. There should only be www.assisisoft.com attached to my htdocs directory.

Rich

6. Takeshi Eto

Rich

I believe you are referring to the Alternative URL. This is an alternative URL for your site - it is always live and resolves to the same location as your domain. If you ever have any issues pulling up your site with your domain, always check with the alternative url so you can tell if it is a domain issue or a site issue.

Eric
    DiscountASP.NET

7. OK. But why does assisisoft1.web144.discountasp.net show up when I browse to www.assisisoft.com?

Rich

8. Takeshi Eto

9. Are you talking about the code:
    Response.Redirect('/DNN/Default.aspx');

That does not prepend 'assisisoft1.web144.discountasp.net'. Why would that be the answer?

Rich

10. I believe DNN keeps a record of the URL you used during installation. You must have used the temporary URL. There should be a way to change the URL or alias in DNN's admin.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

11. Takeshi Eto

Your suggestion is noted and we will pass your suggestion onto the staff here.

Please note that we did not write or develop DNN. The makers of DNN should be the ultimate source for documentation for their application. Please make sure to let them know about your issues as well.

Eric
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

12. I did use the temp URL when DNN was installed. I have added my registered domain (www.assisisoft.com) to the Portal Aliases so both the temp site and my domain are listed now/ However, the temp site alias is the only one ever used and you can't delete it unless you can first run DNN using the domain alias.

My ISP says it is with DNN not a forward of theirs. Is ther a way to tell DNN to use the domain alias rather than the older temp alias?

Rich

13. ANSWER. Someone please post this in the KB!

You have to enter a Portal Alias in DotNetNuke that has the full domain path to your DotNetNuke install directory. A simple forwarding page in the root is not sufficient.

Enter a Portal Alias on the Site Settings page that looks like this: 'www.mydomain.com/dnn' where dnn is the dotnetnuke install directory.

Do this and create a forward command in your default root page. Mine has 'Response.Redirect('/DNN/Default.aspx');' in default.aspx.vb.

Jesus, someone please doc this stuff better!

Rich