Domain name

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by GaryB, Jan 5, 2008.

1. This is probably the wrong forum but if someone could point me in the right direction it'd be great.
    I think I can do this but am real ignorant.
    I want to point a URL say new1.mydomain.com to a subfolder of my app, say mydomaincom/projects/folder2/new1.
    Do I do that with my DNS service? or here on Discountasp.net?
    Thanks for listening! :)

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

3. I don't believe I do have the unique IP enabled as you say. Not even sure what that is!
    I prefer not to have the subfolder show in my visitor's address bar if that's possible.

Let's start easy.. how can I just set up a subdomain that would just go to my default document? I think I would do that through configuration at network solutions (my domain registrar), no?

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

If you do it through network solution, it will be a domain redirection which basically redirect a sub domain to another URL.

If you want to do it through us, you'll have to enable the Subdomain/ UIP addon. Once the addon is enabled, *.yourdomain.com will resolve to your site root.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. I hate to be such a noob.
    Can someone give me step-by-step instructions for getting

new1.mydomain.com/folder/folder/document12.htm

to have discountasp.net return my document at

mydomaincom/new1/folder/folder/document12.htm

i see the redirecting code but that would allow my users to see my super private directory structure and have them add bookmarks to it etc. is there a way for them to get to the above situation while their address bar continued to say new1.mydomain etc.?

Do i need to purchase another domain or something? This is real new to me in case you can't tell!