DotNetNuke 4.0.x installation / application not starting?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by William Burrows, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Hi Chad,

I am not sure might be causing your problem, but just wanted to let you know that my DNN 4.0.0 site is working fine.

Bill Burrows
    MS MVP

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

i tested installing DNN 4.0.1 couple days ago and it worked fine.

What is the error you are seeing?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Hi,

This one is a stumper -

I am having a problem with my DotNetNuke 4.0.0 (.Net Framework 2.0) installation (www.theintegritychallenge.com). It had been working fine, though I was doing some development on a dotnetnuke add-on module at the time I noticed my problem. The problem is that when I attempt to access the site, it sits unresponsive, no errors or anything, the server simply does not respond. The server responds fine for requests to static content (.html, .png, .css files, etc), but hangs when accessing an .aspx or .ascx file.

I can't be 100% certain, but I don't feel anything I was doing with my development of the add-on dotnetnuke module could account for this. The dotnetnuke installation on the server compiles fine in Visual Studio 2005, so I am a bit stumped.

I dug around in my dotnetnuke installation's Logging database table (which records application start / stop events, superuser logins, etc) and it looks like the last time the application was (re)started successfully was over 24 hours ago... approximately for as long as I have been having the problem. The application should start when I access the site. Since it is apparently not doing so, I guess that would account for the server 'hanging' when I try to access the site.

I uploaded DotNetNuke 4.0.1 over the top of the 4.0.0 installation (no add-on modules, just the core) thinking maybe one of the DNN core dll's got hosed or something. No dice, still the same thing. This would be considered a clean installation, and should work in any event or at least die gracefully with an error messege if something is amiss (SQL server connectivity issues, ASP.Net scripting errors, etc).

I am wondering if maybe DiscountASP's servers are having a problem and not starting some web applications? I've looked at this from every angle that I can control and can't figure this one out. Anyone have thoughts?

4. Bill -

Thanks. I installed 4.0.0 right after it came out and it worked just fine. I am just not sure why it is not working all of the sudden. Like I mentioned, I
    was doing some development on a DNN custom module around the time I noticed the problem.

Bruce -

There is no error at all. When you try to access the web (http://www.theintegritychallenge.com/ic) the browser just waits indefinitely for the server to
    respond, which it ultimately fails to do. I am going to delete the entire directory and replacing it with a fresh copy of the 4.0.1 install package and see if that works. If it doesn't, I would assume there is some corruption one or more database tables - but would be odd - because the module I was working on didn't modify any of the DNN core tables.

5. I've finished uploading a fresh copy of 4.0.1 to http://www.theintegritychallenge.com/ic, but can't tell if it works because I get a Service Unavailable browser error messege now. :-\

Maybe there was a problem with the discountasp.net servers after all?

6. Hi Chad,

I hit your URL and got the same error. But it came up way faster than I would have expected (almost faster than a hit to localhost). Can you verify thatyour DSN setting are correct for your site?

Bill Burrows
    MS MVP

7. Hi guys,

Everything mysteriously works all of the sudden! :-D

I suspect the server was having a problem recycling processes after all.

Thanks for the help!

8. Hey Bill,

No idea. This happens when you try to hit the root of the website (www.theintegritychallenge.com.html/index.html, an under construction page) gives the Service Unavailable error too. This is yet a different problem than I has having before. The site now just pops up with a Service Unavailable error rather than simply not responding as it did before.
    The under construction page is just static html, so should be not affected by problems with asp.net or dotnetnuke itself.

Pretty strange stuff!