Dotnetnuke URL configuration

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Av8or, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Hi,

I am attempting to setup a new DotNetNuke site. I have followed the knowledgebase instructions and installed the site. The instructions say do NOT install the files into the documents folder, but instead put them into a subfolder. I have done so, and put them at mysite/dnn. I then put www.mysite.com as a site alias in dotnetnuke. The problem is I then have to type www.mysite.com/dnn into the url path to access the site. How do I make is so I just type www.mysite.com?

Thank you.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Do you want the user to automatically be redirect to www.mysite.com/dnn when they goto www.mysite.com?

OR

Do you want the URL to be www.mysite.com?

If you want your user to get redirected to /dnn directory, you can put in a simple redirection script.

If you want the URL to appear as www.mysite.com, then you have to install DNN to the site root. THere should not be any problem UNLESS you want to install other ASP.NET application in other sub directory.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Thanks Bruce....

I want it to just go to www.mysite.com . I guess I'll just reinstall everything. I am a bit confused because the directions tell you NOT to do it that way. Is this a security issue?

Jay

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

No. This is not a security issue.

If you install DNN on the site root, all your subdirectory will inherit the web.config setting of DNN and it will most likely interfere if you install another application in a sub directory.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Bruce,

Good answer man....I get it! Thanks!