E-Mail Improvements Needed

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by MilesP, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Hello,

I recently moved my site over to discountASP and to date I am happy with the web hosting service. However, I am not so pleased with the e-mail functionality. I've used the Squirrel software before and never liked it. When discountASP decides to improve this area of service, here's what I'd like to see (all of these suggestions are things I had w/my last host, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility):

<ul>
    [*]Provide ability filtering spam
    [*]Option in the Web UI that does not display images in HTML mail message (presently it seems it can remove ones that seem to have a link, but displays others which exposes us to more spamming).
    [*]With the above option, an option, when viewing a message, to view images. Presently, cannot choose to view images that are removed.
    [*]Ability to auto forward message while keeping in current account. Right now, it's all or nothing. You can set up an e-mail account that simply forwards messages to another account or an account that receives messages only (not a mix of the two).
    [/list]

Thank you for your consideration of these improvements.
    Regards,
    Patrick

2. The mail system needs to be able to import email addresses from a .csv, it needs a whitelist/blacklist spam system, it needs to be able to report as spam an email, it should automatically display images, the interface is pretty squirrely looking.

A list management program that integrates with my installation would be great - even if it costs more. Other solutions like intellicontact cost a fortune.

For me I have had to ditch the DiscountASP Squirrel Mail for some clients and use another provider for email because it just does not get the job done. So I/they have to pay extra for email hosting. I would rather have to pay $20 more per installation to you folks if that's what it takes for a better email program.

Thanks,

Will, Planet Maine

3. Sweet [​IMG]

4. I am using Google Apps for some of my domains. Google allows you to host email with your domain name you can have a 1000+ email accounts with 2gb storage for each account and you can upload a CSV file to create a lot of email accounts at once. I use the free version but they offer three different plans. It seems to be a great solution for email...
    here is the link

kevinasp.com

5. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

we are in the process of rolling out the spam filtering solution (some customers are already using it)

webmail: we are testing a new webmail system and hopes to do a beta service in the next couple months.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

6. Hey Kevin,

I checked that google apps out and it is pretty amazing. I assume they give it for free by serving up a right panel of ads relevant to all the key words in your emails, on your calendar entries, etc. Is that the case? Do you use the calendar and other features? Do you have a client act as the admin for it or do you do it for them?

Do you know if they have a limit on outgoing smtp emails per account? That is one limitation of DiscountASP is that you are limited to 1000 outgoing per installation per 24 hours. I have a DASP installation with DNN that uses OptIn email (datasprings.com) and it is fine for a client with 400 contacts but I also have one with 3000 contacts so because of the DASP 1000 limit they have to use groundspring.org ($360/yr). Intellicontact.com is another good one, even higher priced though.

Thanks for your comment Bruce, we look forward to seeing a new webmail interface for DASP!

Will, PlanetMaine.net

7. I really hate to be sceptical but...

Does anyone else see this as an internalploy by Google to gain ad revenues?

"How can we?"

"How about we pull mail in from other e-mail domains?"

"Yeah, that would do it!"

[​IMG] I do usea Gmail account for Google Alerts and would have used this for my Microsoft Live mail...
    That is, if it would have worked. (Appears it will only work with the paid-for MSN mail accounts.)

I'm not trying to knock Google, just chatting with you guys, openly, and honestly. [​IMG]

8. mjp

mjp

Everything Google does seems to have the same goal; data collection and advertising. That being said, I've used Gmail for a couple of domains for a long time and I'm happy with it. It's convenient, the spam filtering is very accurate (of course it would be, they have 80 billion user-tagged spam email texts to base it on /emoticons/wink.gif), and I'm even used to the way the messages are clustered in "conversations" now, though I wasn't a fan of it at first.

I don't think I would put my business' spreadsheets or calendar on Google apps, but if they want to read my email , good luck to 'em. I certainly can't read it all myself. Maybe I can get them to answer some while they are in there...

mjp
    DiscountASP.NET
    <SUB><SUP>http://DiscountASP.NET

9. ...Reminds me of some tricks I ran on Wildcat! Multi-node BBS's with Frontdoor and Fido mail packs each day.
    (Pre-Internet)
    Would take more than an hour to unpack the messages...
    So I wrote some nifty apps to answer most of them.
    Then I used the same code for chat to the Sysop.
    Worked so well everyone was satisfied with what they got and never knew any better.

10. mjp

mjp

11. I'll have to check it out. You know I actually used a 300bps modem. haha

I'd kill myself if I had to go back to that.

Joel Thoms
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

12. 2 funny. [​IMG]

13. If we ever fall into outright kaos Frontdoor systems will probably go back up like wildfire.
    For many years U.S. News and World Report had me keep one running for them, just in case...

Without landlines or Satellites Frontdoor systems can send packets to each other across the entire U.S.
    I'm not a disparager of doom but nothing like a simple amount of boyscout sense, eh...

14. mjp

mjp

Frontdoor was/is email, yeah?

There was some 'door' terminology that threw me for a loop when I first logged onto a BBS. 'How can a computer have doors, this is stupid!' Then I hit a few keys and suddenly a year had passed. Ha.

Still, I was only a dabbler on the BBS scene, but I thought the documentary was excellent. Well worth the purchase price.

It must be good, I loaned it to someone and never got it back. ;)

mjp
    DiscountASP.NET
    <SUB><SUP>http://DiscountASP.NET

15. We used Frontdoor for Fido mail, private messagesand news.

I also set up a huge Frontdoor system for 67 U.S. reservations called Native Net.
    Some of the Washington D.C. stuff related to that about me is actually on the Internet now.
    I never gave permission for it however. [​IMG]

http://www.fidonet.org/
    http://archives.thebbs.org/ra87c.htm

Something I still miss the most in this Stateless Internet is...File Resume.
    We had it working perfectly nearly 20 years ago.

Just for the record...Each of my 25 line HST modems cost over $700 each back then. [​IMG]