E-mail sucks

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by edward, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Is anyone getting frustrated with repeated e-mail outages??? What sucks for me is I get no information about what is happening. I try to log in and I get an error saying my username or password is wrong when what is actually happening is that there is an outage. I never get any notifications about when these outages happened.

Similar story with storage limits. No warnings about how close you are to your limit. Am I really the only one getting pissed off or are other people just too pissed off to write a message here??

2. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

In the control panel POP Manager you will find your usage percentage.

3. I moved all of my small website clients to Discountasp.net from a competitor of theirs because of this very thing. Email outages. Now, I'm having to do way too much explaining why their email is down with Discountasp.net. Frustrating. No notice. No communication about "We're sorry for that..." or anything. Just outages and excuses. I guess you get what you pay for....or less.

4. Also, half the time now emails that I send to my clients is rejected by their email server as spam. I can't exactly pin this on Discountasp.net, but it's a pain and I get nowhere with Tech Support on this when I call them. I agree that support from Discountasp used to be great....used to be. Scott

5. To be fair tech support were pretty fast responding to me and I appreciate that. It seems to me they are doing their best with a service that is hard to guarantee. I just wish like Scott that I would have notification/regards of outages and some warning about my mailbox size.

6. I'm curious how much of a problem this is. I'm curretnly in the process of leaving a VERY BAD host (Via Networks / IMC Online) and one of the many reasons I'm doing so is that mail outages are frequent and not reported. Is this the case here also? Any suggestions on how to avoid it (or of better hosts)?

7. Aldaron:
    I too just left Via Networks because they could not keep their email servers running. I moved 2 web sites here from Via Networks. So far email has remained up but now I am getting so much spam I am probably going to move those sites back to Via Networks. I have 15 or so other web sites still at Via Networks that I was going to move over here but there is no way with no ability to filter spam at the server level. Many of those web sites are children oriented (childrens books, boys & girls club web sites, etc.) and there is no way I will put them here so they too can begin to get dozens of "Enlarge your penis" spam emails every day[V].

8. I too had a few email performance problems here: Some downtime just as I set up a new account and test it, unusual delays. My two hosted apps are not email intensive yet, but it seems whenever I check on an email setting (new account or forward) the performance degrades.
    I wish they could get this resolved.
    If usage from some users is the bulk of problem, a charge for large volume would allow DASP to at least plan the usage and commit processing resource accordingly.

As far as getting feedback on the situation. I can easily imagine a little app sending/receiving email to/from/between DASP and typical PostOffice some length away and monitor the delays. The information could be available on the control panel, for example. Maybe even a measure of how much "backlog/volume" the server is processing. That would be the first thing to check when we have a problem. Or would that actually prove DASP's email performance is bad and then would have to deal with it? ;-) Take it the other way, and it shows the great performance considering the volume...

9. In my survey I suggested looking at IceWarp or Horde. Now that I think about it, I really like @mail better than IceWarp. Many more features, much better interface, and (in my opinion) easier to administer (from corporate environment experience). www.atmail.com