email list management

Discussion in 'Site Design, SEO, Google and Site Promotion' started by nature, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Can anyone recommend a good component to run a listserv type email list? I cobbled together something using the components offered by Discount ASP.NET but it's kind of crude. Here's one that I found - http://www.xigla.com/absolutenl/

I'd prefer something free or at least cheap.

thanks much,
    Carl

2. This component does look pretty good. And since its a .Net web application it should work well with discountasp's servers.

If you want something cheap and without all the bells and whistles you can always create your own web application, tied in with a backend SQL server.

You can even use the Schedular task manager to trigger the web application for you so that it will pull up a list of email addresses on your database to send out to your customers.

This of course can get pretty complicated depending on the features you want on it, but hey, its free and cheap.

Raymond

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Subscribers

If I have got 3,000 subscribers and I want send e-mail to them four times to month, is it a acceptable use of CPU in the server?

Thanks in advance

4. I don't see why not if you need to send email only 4 times a month. Our only restriction is sending out 1000 email within a 24 hour period. This will definitely increase the CPU usage and it put our servers on a black list from many ISP's.

5. Dear Raymond, thank for your reply. My question was about the time the script will be running in the server to send 1,000 emails. That can take about an hour. My question was about that: is aceptable that a script be runnig for an hour in your server?

Apologizes for my bad english

6. You will not be able to send out 1000 emails within a 1 hour time span. You may want to break it down within 3 or 4 hour time span. This is actually better because it will not flag you as being a spammer and it will keep the emails flowing more smoothly since it will not clog up the queue at one time.

7. mjp

mjp

Actually, the rule recently changed to 5000 messages per 24 hour period, maximum of 1000 per hour. So the 1000 messages per hour, in and of itself, would not raise any red flags. Memory/CPU usage is another matter, but there are automated quotas in place that won't allow you to use too much of either, so the test would be to try the mailing.

Note that any large mailing, even spread over several hours, can come to the attention of our mail admins. As long as you stay within the limits and the message is not sent to people unsolicited, you shouldn't have any problems.