Email Relaying OK Here? Yikes

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by goinggoneco, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Am I wrong or do you not require any authentication to send mail through the mail servers at www.discountasp.net????

I would suspect that one of the problems with email system (or one that will soon arise) is that spammers are using your (our) servers to send junk, then ISPs start blocking your (our!) IPs and things start backing up.

I have to imagine that this is a bonanza for the spammers and a big headache for you guys? Do you really allow unauthenticated relaying? Why? I have seen no other hosters that allow this.

D-

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Of course we do not allow open relay (or unauthenticated email sending). Where do you get this idea???

POP before SMTP is the authentication method.

Trust me, we are one of the best hosting provider you can find as far as frequency of getting listed in email blacklist. We do so by having a very strict policy against spamming customers.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Thanks ... well someone plugged the hole today ... last night I sent mail unauthenticated numerous times as I am testing out various email components.

Perhaps a hacker is/was opening up the email server for vial purposes?

Or I had too much holiday schnapps.

I hope you are vigilant ... I think discountasp.net is a great service ... but without a secure FTP (i.e. webdav) ... i don't know how you can avoid getting hacked.

D-

4. Ok, now I can't get through ... when you say 'Pop before SMTP ' what does that mean?

D-

5. It means you must check mail before being able to send it. By using your usename/password to authenticate you whenreceivingmail (POP), you are now authenticated tosend (SMTP) as well. If, for example, you log into your mail program and attempt to send a message without first checking your mail (and authenticating through the POP server), your outgoing mail will not go. I simply set up outlook to do a send/receiveas soon asI open the program so I am already authenticated by the time I have to send a message.

Mike Reilly, Secretary/Webmaster
    Kiwanis Club of Rancho Penasquitos
    "Serving the Children of the World"
    [email protected]
    www.KiwanisPQ.org
    (760) 419-7429

6. First, an apology, I think it was my *localhost* smtp that was allowing relaying ...

But, if you connect first to pop as, say, '[email protected]' ... you can then turn around and send mail from '[email protected]'. Is that right? So I am guessing the IP address is being cached as 'ok to send for a while'...

For my usage, that actually will be the best behavior but I can still see that as a problem ... I have seen other systems that say you can only be 'from' the same user name that authenticated.

Still a little confused,

David

7. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Once you successfully authenciate through our POP server, your IP address will be log and allow to relay mail for an hour.

>But, if you connect first to pop as, say, '[email protected]' ... you can then turn around and send mail from '[email protected]'. Is that right? So I am guessing the IP address is being cached as 'ok to send for a while'...

Yes. THis is one of the problem with SMTP in general, SMTP do not authenticate the sender address. There are several standard in the work to fix this problem, eg. SPF, Domain Key, etc.

Some mail server reley by restricting the from address to a local address on the mail server but we think this is too restrictive and not very practical.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET