Email Transfers?

Discussion in 'Email' started by kavicarter, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. My current domain name is registered through GoDaddy.com and I have e-mail accounts set up there.

I want to keep the same e-mail accounts when I transfer my site over to DiscountASP.net.

Once this happens, will all the old emails still be there or will it be something more along the lines of a fresh start?

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

I think this is your best bet

1) Register the hosting account w/ us. DO NOT update your domain's DNS yet
    2) Recreate all the email accounts on our system
    3) Connect to GoDaddy's mail server and download all the mail to your server
    4) Update the DNS to point to our name server.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Okay, that sounds easy enough.

One question... when you register the hosting account, don't you have to put in a domain name?

And since the one I want to use is already in use, will that deter me from finishingthe hostingsetup process?

4. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

You should sign up using the domain name that you intend to use with your hosting account. It's okay if your domain is in use at another provider, it won't matter in the ordering process with us. We will take care of everything on our side to set up our system so it can accept your domain name. It is up to you, when you want to point that domain over to our location. To point the domain over to us, you would update the domain name servers with your domain registrar.

Eric
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET - Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    - asp.netPRO Magazine 2008 Readers' Choice Award for Best ASP.NET Hosting Service
    - asp.netPRO Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best ASP.NET Hosting Service
    - Visual Studio Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best .NET Hosting Service

5. Hi,
    The MX records to move the domain mail addresses is no problem from GoDaddy to DASP.
    To transfer mail will require you to perform some forwarding on that end.
    It will be tricky for sure but you may want to temporarily use either Live mail or Gmail as a forward to.
    Salute,
    Mark

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.