Encrypting Data

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by nbknxf2, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Is it possible to use the Cryptography Application Block of the Enterprise Library?

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hmmm... i haven't tested that but I think it should work.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Bruce,

The enterprise library has a tool to export/import encryption keys. How can this be used in a shared hosting environment? I would need to be able at the very least import a key from my dev environment.

Thanks!

Richard

4. Bruce

Oh.. didn't know it requires a key.

In that case, I don't think it will work on our server.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Thanks for the reply!

6. Hey, nb!

We explored this a few months ago in this forum.

For an effective encryption solution, discountasp.net would have to store the key in an inaccessible portion of the server. Otherwise, your only other option is to store a key in your web server space, which kind of defeats the purpose.

At one point, they said that they were looking into storing keys for their customers. Not sure if they are still looking at this, though it would be a FANTASTIC service if they did.

7. Bruce

I am not sure how the Encryption Enterprise Lib works but with ASP.NET 2.0, you can dynamically load a certificate just by putting the cert in the app_data directory. I am not sure if this is the way how Enterprise Lib work though.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

8. Hello,

You can also use a runtime configuration for your ent lib crypto block.

You just store the key in your assembly and do the configuration of the block when you need to use it.

You may also derive the key at runtime from a passphrase or what ever you want.

I guess it would be enough in most case.

Best regards