Enforcing (redirecting) SSL w/ subdomains

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Buzzuti, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Does anyone know how to enforce SSL in a simplistic manner when dealing with subdomains?

I have stumbled upon this article which works beautifully when working in a www.mysite.com scenario, but when workig with a subdomain sub.mysite.com it does not work (reasons are noted in the comments of the blog post).
    http://weblogs.asp.net/kwarren/archive/2005/07/08/418541.aspx

Has anyone had to deal with this before? Just throwing a line out there to see if anyone bites as I begin to design and implement a solution of my own. Any ideas?

Many thanks for your thoughts and experiences,
    Buzzuti

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

The comment doesn't apply to you.

For all SSL account, the web server is configured to use an unique IP. It doesn't use HostHeader.

Something in the code is not working properly.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Nearly broke my neck on this...
    I won't bore with the details and all the quarky things that I ran into along the way that completely screwed with my head...
    But once upon a time, many months ago, I was doing some local testing and created a host header file entry on my local machine... it was <somesite.mysite.com> pointing local. Well forgot about that one...
    It just so happened that this was the subdomain I was attempting to test with as well...
    As I discoverdother combinations worked fine, that one would continue to 404...

Oh, well, leason learned,
    Many thanks for your time Bruce!