error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by wisemx, Jul 16, 2008.

1. It's helpful to post a bit more info, when you can.
    Error 26 is a pretty generic error for SQL Server instances.

More than likely you made a mistake in your connection string, and or web.config settings.

If you want to post the connection section of your web.config maybe one of us can spot the problem.
    Just comment out your password.
    Salute,
    Mark

2. error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

Logically, I am thinkng there's nothing wrong with my web.config as it is running locally. Now, I should not change anything on the config file even if I port my app to discount. Since the db connection still points to discount.

Here you go:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

3. Are you getting this error from your local system where the connections are pointing to the DASP SQL Server?

4. I've got my web app running on my local machine and connecting to my discountasp's sql2005 add-on database. My deployed web app in discount is not working though. And it give me this error.

5. It's already working on my local machine. It's not after I deployed my app at discountasp.

6. Hi,
    What is the error you're getting?

7. The title of my post: error 26

8. What does your connection string look like ?make sure they are referring or pointing to DASP SQL server and not your local machine.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

9. Hey guys thanks for all the help. Problem solved.

As I've said earlier, the app is working locally.Also, my connectionstring ("locally") is already pointing to DASP.