Error 26 (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Bruce, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

This error is usually caused by the fact that your application is trying to connect to a SQL Express database.

Check your web.config file to make sure do not have any reference to a SQL Express database.

In addition, based on the error message, it looks like you are also using ASP.NET's membership provider which is defaulted to use SQL Express.

See http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10413on how to get it working.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

2. Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and need some elp. So far I have been working in Visual Studio 2005 where i have createda small website and made a website that allows users to login. I have used the SQlepxress Db within Visual Studio and I have not created the DB myself. THis all works fine locally and I have no problmes logging a user in or oyt etc.

I have since uploaded my site to my server space on discountasp.net and I have now encountered errors. I have attached the DB that I am using locally to my SQL 2005 space on the server and it has attached succesfully. I have connection strings in my web.config file:

<connectionStrings>

<remove name="SQL2005_251526_bbbidder" />

<add name="SQL2005_251526_bbbidder" connectionString="Data Source=tcp:sql2k503.discountasp.net;Initial Catalog=SQL2005_251526_bbbidder;User ID=SQL2005_251526_bbbidder_user;Password=******" />
    </connectionStrings>

but for some reason I keep getting this error when i try to a log a user in:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Source Error:

Code:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

Code:
    [SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +735043
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +188
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean&amp; useFailoverPartner, Boolean&amp; failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +820
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +170
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +130
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) +424
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +66
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +496
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +82
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
       System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(HttpContext context, Boolean revertImpersonate) +84
       System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +197
       System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPasswordWithFormat(String username, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Int32&amp; status, String&amp; password, Int32&amp; passwordFormat, String&amp; passwordSalt, Int32&amp; failedPasswordAttemptCount, Int32&amp; failedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount, Boolean&amp; isApproved, DateTime&amp; lastLoginDate, DateTime&amp; lastActivityDate) +1121
       System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean failIfNotApproved, String&amp; salt, Int32&amp; passwordFormat) +105
       System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean failIfNotApproved) +42
       System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password) +83
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e) +160
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +105
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +163
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

CAN ANYONE HELP ME AT ALL. Thanking you all in advance for any help or light u can shed on this matter.

Cheers

Neil

3. Hi
    Sorry to hijack this post.But i was reading the link that you posted about changing
    the provider.I couldnt find the file below on the link that you're talking about.
    1. Execute the command: aspnet_regsql.exe -S [DB Server Name] -U [DB login] -P [Password] -A all -d [Database name]
    2. Instead this is the file i came up with.
    3. C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ASPNET_REGSQL.EXE
    4. And this file take you to the wizard that Scott gurith talk about in is blog on configuring ASP.NET
    5. to use SQL2000 OR 2005.
    6. Thanks

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.