Error Locating Server/Instance Specified

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by mushroom, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Just exactly what I need. Is this in KB? If not I believe it should be, or it could be a sticky note in the forum. Someting like a guide to before deploying your .Net app in DASP. If it is already here, kindly point me to that so I can take a look. Also, I am using SQL membership and role providers. I need to do a 'clear' tag on both providers to override the machine.config setup. Is this intentional also?

Thanks again!

2. Is this the actual error 'provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified'. What is the connection string name are you using. Is it LocalSQLServer?

This error usually means that your application is using the LocalSQLServer connection string name. On our servers LocalSQLServer is defaulted to look for a SQL Express database which we don't have. We decided to not remove it because the error it generates when it can't find LocalSQLServer is more confusing.

You may want to try removing this connection string name from your applications configuration file.

<remove name='LocalSQLServer' />

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. I have searched the forum and can't seem to find the answer. When I ran my webapp locally connecting to my DB in DASP, it's working. But I got this error when I ran my webapp from DASP connecting to the same DB.

Thanks in advance!