Exchange/WSS smart host connectors

Discussion in 'Email' started by JerryEvans, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. I'm trying to configure a new WS2003/Ex2003 installation with an existing email infrastructure that I do not wish to change. The initial idea was to simply forward all Exchange/WSS alerts to the existing email system.

Question: How do I do this on a user basis with Exchange 2003? I can see how to add an SMTP connector and (can guess) how to connect to an external SMTP server but I have no clue how to do this on an individual account basis.

Can/How do I forwarrd email from [email protected] to the existing [email protected] SMTP server?

Any help welcomed

J

2. Exchange Smart Hosts?

So we can forward alerts etc from an Intranet Exchange/Sharepoint system to our existing email system, hosted by DiscountASP.

It would be great if these were formally supported and the setup documented.

I'm trying to do this right now for an Exchange 2003 installation and am guessing ... Any help welcomed.

Thanks

Jerry.

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

if you are running exchange, why would you want to relay through our mail server? It would be more efficient to simply relay out directly.

4. Hello Bruce

I thought it would simplify thiings. If email were relayed via an authorised account on the domain host then no problems with DNS etc and spam trapping. Exchange is being hosted in a VM somewhere else completely - it is not used for email as I do not wish to disturb the existing set up.

Please do let me know if I'm misguided here :)

Any thoughts welcomed.

5. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

it will be much simplier to relay out directly because you eliminate a hop.

You can also set up SPF and reverse DNS since you have full control of your IP.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.