Existing connection forced closed by host

Discussion in 'Email' started by Riskworks, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hi,
    I have the following in my web.config

<system.net>
    <mailSettings>
    <smtp from="[email protected]">
    <network host="localhost" password="*******" userName="[email protected]" />
    </smtp>
    </mailSettings>
    </system.net>

But I am getting an unhandled exception when the request for password is sent.

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

I can log into smartermail and send with the postmaster account. I am using the recover password control, as is.

Any ideas as to what I am missing?

2. Ramses

Ramses Guest

While I'm not 100% sure (probably 90%), it looks like you're trying to send using localhost and authenticating. When you're sending from localhost, this does not need any type of authentication, so you should be able to just remove the user/pass.

If you were to use "smtp.domain.com" as the SMTP server, then you would have to authenticate because you're connecting to your email server and that does require authentication.

try it out and report with the results

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.