Facebook App running on DASP: PhotoSplatz

Discussion in 'Site Design, SEO, Google and Site Promotion' started by Hutchinson, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone,

For those who are facebook users, or those interested in facebook apps, I just went live with my first app called PhotoSplatz. You can find it in Facebook's Appllication Directory under Photo or Utility. Any feedback would be welcomed.

PhotoSplatz is a photo-sharing app that uses google maps to place the photos where they were taken, like a photo album, but organized by its location. You can send an invite to your friends for them to view it. The app uses any embedded GPS data in the image (iPhone) or you can drag the photo to its place. The usual next/previous and slideshow controls are there. One cool feature is that you can toggle to see all your friends photos, if they are also using the app.

While its called an app and integrates with the FB social networking platform the guts of PhotoSplatz is running on a DASP 2008 server. I'm using .Net 3.5 along with SQL Server 2008 and LINQ. (I"ll tell you, after doing all of that manually connection stuff in my code using LINQ is very sweet!) Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jack

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

how do i find it? did you forget to post the url?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. There are 2 ways to get to the PhotoSplatz app:

1) http://apps.facebook.com/photosplatz

2) Go to the Facebook Application Directory, click on either the 'Photos' or 'Utility' category, then the 'Newest' tab. It should show up on the first page of listed apps. Then click on it to add it. The App Directory is accessible via the 'Applcations' menu at the lower left hand corner of your browser screen after you sign into facebook.

And you need to be a Facebook member to access it.

4. I have no reason to not trust ya [​IMG]

You have to admit however, as shown in the attached image, most users aren't going to allow it.
    Salute,
    Mark

Attached Files:

5. Cancel just cancels you out of adding the app. The 'full access' thing is a standard message that facebook shows to all users adding a new app (I believe). In photosplatz's case I guess this means that facebook will return information about your albums and photos on facebook (names, url, caption, etc). From what I understandfacebook under no circumstances gives out information about you, such as your email and other personal stuff. I haven't looked to much into it but you can also limit access to your photos, etc.

6. Since this is a facebook dialog- and applies to all facebook apps, not just mine- there's not much I can do [​IMG] .If one is concerned, though, they canread the attached link to their terms of use and always cancel if they don't like it. Also, as a facebook user, you can always remove an application which then prevents further access to you info.

Jack

7. Hi,
    I found it with no trouble but facebook warns that it will have full access to the users account.
    The options being Allow or Cancel...Which do you think I chose? [​IMG]
    Salute,
    Mark

8. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

i have a friend who is building facebook app as well.. i always wonder if this makes money??

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

9. Probably. Facebook allows you to advertise in your app so if you have alot of traffic I would think you can make money. Some of the popular apps have over 10,000,000 active users which to me seems very valuable. Also with so many eyeballs I would also think you can sell the app. Facebook itself has over 100M users.