Feedback On Site Problems

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Detter, Nov 27, 2009.

1. For some reason my 25 years of network deign, setup, install, and administering just doesn't seem to mean anything to anyone. I have been 10 hours trying to get my site updated because of the FTP Service went down twice and I tried to email my partner and the SMTP Service was not authenticating me. All I could get out of Support was everything was working on their side. this all started at 11:00 am on thanksgiving day and I closed the last ticket at 3 am this morning. I have seen problems that I know to be server load related and all I get is the problem is on my side. When I can not access a service and tell support about it and 5 min later it is working that tells me someone restarted the service on the server but all I hear is the problem is on my side. You guys I am 51yrs old I have been using the internet longer then most of the support staff have been alive and I have always tried to explain to my customers what the problem was and what I would do to fix it. Thats called being a professional and when all I hear is the problem is on my side and I know it can't be I feel like I am not being told the truth and someone is just tying to save their job for a mistake.

So guys you all do have a good hosting service but you need to learn how to have a great hosting service and actually do some honest customer service.

2. mjp

mjp

Well, I am just about your age and I'm not even the oldest person here, so that particular cliched dig at the staff falls a bit flat. But I guess it's better than the vile remark you made in a support email yesterday. I will save you the embarrassment of repeating it here.

According to your helpdesk tickets, your FTP problems stopped when you deleted the account and recreated it in your FTP client, which would indicate that the problem was your configuration. Would it not? In your years of experience?

Similarly, your email problems would appear to be client and/or network related - meaning your network, or your internet connection - rather than server related, since you cannot even connect to webmail when your email is failing, and the multiple message issue is always client-side. You know, in our experience.

We are certainly not perfect, nor do we claim to be. When a problem is on our end we always say so. Go look at the outages and maintenance forum. But you can't seem to accept that you could have issues on your end, so it makes for difficult (i.e. impossible) troubleshooting on our end. And adding an insult to every request for support - as you have in each helpdesk ticket we have here - does not do wonders for your credibility.

3. I'll add my own words, "just saying" ;-)

OK, first of all I really miss the WILDCAT! BBS days.
    feel better..got that out. LOL
    Back in the 80's I ran support BBSes for Microsoft. Multinode WILDCAT!
    Still have my last version, box and all.
    Beta tested many products for Msft, some never made it to market, like VB for DOS.
    Yup, while we were still writing 16 color ASCII.

Before the Internet went public in late 1993 I was running Planet Connect.
    In the U.S. and Canada I posted free custom code each month.
    Much of that old code is still being shipped on the Walnut Creek CD's but with the wrong name. "Mike Wisecarver" instead of "Mark Wisecarver"
    btw I can pop my name up in every version of Windows prior to Windows 95.
    Thanks for the memories ;-)
    All the best,
    Mark

4. Walnut Creek CD's :D

5. First let me say that I always check my side of things before I even turn in a ticket. I had no problems connecting to the 14 ftp servers,9 email servers, and 25 Web Servers that I manage located in CA, TX, NY, and yes even Japan. I always run a network diagnostic analysis to make sure it is not a problem on my side. And the only connections I had to re due was the ones to your servers. Yes I travel all over the world and I do use different networks for connections and I know this can cause some problems but I do know when it is my problem. I came to you all because I wanted to work on some ASP.NET Apps for a certain customer and because all of my servers or Unix based. I am a perfectionist and I am a A if you know what I mean but then I did make 500k last year.

6. mjp

mjp

I know what you mean.