FileZilla: 530 User cannot login, home directory inaccessible

Discussion in 'Getting started' started by pennistenj, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hello. I am a new user of DiscountASP.NET. I'm trying to use FileZilla to connect to my new site "pennj2.net". I go into Site Manager, fill out all the fields as directed including port 21 and click "Connect". I get the message "Connection established", my username and password are validated OK, but then I get the response "530 User cannot login, home directory inaccessible" followed by "critical error, could not connect to server".
    Can anyone help?

2. dmitri

dmitri DiscountASP.NET Staff

For accounts hosted on our Windows Server 2008/IIS 7 environments, the FTP user name requires a specific format. It is your customer ID followed by a pipe line character followed by your control panel login name. To obtain the correct FTP user name for your account, please access the Account Information page in your DiscountASP.NET Control Panel and for your convenience, here is a direct link to the Account Information page:

https://my.discountasp.net/account-info.aspx

3. FileZilla: Customer ID omitted, everything OK now

Dmitri, thanks. That was the problem: I was omitting the 7-digit customer ID from my FTP username. Once I added it, everything's OK now. To be sure, I successfully uploaded a simple test file to my new web site. Thanks for your prompt reply.

4. mjp

mjp

That pipe in the username is the cause of a lot of confusion. Glad it's working out for you.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.