Form/Session Timeout Question

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by jeffm223, Jul 8, 2006.

1. I have a .NET 2 app using the login control. My problem is that if the user logs in and then does nothing for an hour or so, the first postback they do kicks them back to the login page. I enabled SQL sessions thinking it would solve this problem, but it hasn't. I'm setting the timeout value in the web config, here:

<sessionState
    mode="SQLServer"
    allowCustomSqlDatabase = "true"
    sqlConnectionString="data Source=sql2k501.discountasp.net;database=SQL2005_199810_sessiondb;User ID=SQL2005_199810_sessiondb_user;password=prt94unxs"
    cookieless="false"
    timeout="6000"
    />

Is there somewhere else I need to set it? Users may sit for long periods logged on between actions, it's very irritating for them to have to keep logging back on. Any help appreciated.

2. How would I access that? I thought it was server side......

3. wwv

wwv

Although the settings in the web.config file override the settings in the machine.config file I would suggest you to verify and when necessary to take up the properly settings in the machine.config file.</o:p>
    Pay attention to the processModel section wherein the settings for process recycling are set.</o:p>
    Process recycling is the technique of shutting down and restarting the ASP.NET worker process (aspnet_wp.exe) that become inactive or consuming excessive resources.</o:p>
    </o:p>
    Have a fun!</o:p>
    Valentin</o:p>
    MCP C#</o:p>
    Do not hesitate to contact me!</o:p>
    www.wwv-it.eu </o:p>

[email protected]</o:p>

4. wwv

wwv

The file is located in the %runtime install path%\Config directory.</o:p>
    For instance:</o:p>
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">version[/I]>\CONFIG\machine.config, C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config</o:p>
    In the mentioned directory you find two other useful files:</o:p>
    machine.config.comments</o:p>
    machine.config.default</o:p>
    Regards</o:p>
    Valentin</o:p>