Forms authentication timeout

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by rwalker, Jan 6, 2006.

1. I am having trouble changing the default (30 mins) forms authentication timeout. This is the timeout used for the client side cookie created when the user selects the remember me checkbox inthe Login control. I have added the following lines to my web.config and this works when I run my site locally. However, when I run the hosted site, the timeout still seems to be the default of 30 mins. Anyone know what I have to do to change the timeout?

<authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms timeout="2051200"/>
    </authentication>

2. Has anyone found an answer to this post?

I am having the same problem. I need my customer to be able to stay connected for a longer period of time then 30 minutes.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

4. Bruce,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, using SQL session did not help. I looked in the tables and records are being created but the session still times out after 30 minutes. I did notice that the SessionItem is NULL (I am not storing any session data). The timeout in the record shows the sessionstate timeout. Where would the forms timeout be stored?

I am using .NET 2.0 and the login controls (membership) on my site.

I have the following lines in my web.config;

<authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms timeout="60000" />
    </authentication>

<sessionState mode="SQLServer" allowCustomSqlDatabase="true" sqlConnectionString="data Source=sql2k501.discountasp.net;database=******;user id=*****;password=*****" cookieless="false" timeout="800" />

Any other ideas of what the problem is?

What really bothers me is that it works locally, but not on my site.

Thanks for your help,
    Joe