ftp access to site

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by bcsmith, Apr 10, 2009.

1. I had my site setup for an asp.net application and it was working fine....However not I have removed this application and I am
    attempting to create a new application using asp.net mvc and visual
    studio 2008 sp1.

I was on windows 2003/IIS 6. Yesterday I was able to login using ftp
    and I also used publish to upload an application....which I removed
    afterwards....

This morning I moved my dasp site over to windows 2008 / IIS 7.
    Here are my current problems

1) I now see on my admin page that I have a new ftp address... it
    is a bit confusing.
    my old ftp address was the same as my control panel login name
    now my ftp address reads: 000xxxxx:|<control panel name>

I have tried all of the the 000xxxx number,
    <control panel name> which used to work
    and 000xxxx|<control panel name>

none of these work.

So how do I figure out what to use for my ftp account login?
    and login site.

By the way I tried both the ftp site and the alternative ftp site.

2) Once I get the FTP login working can I just use publish to publish
    an asp.net mvc application to dasp (using IIS 7)? I have been
    reading the forums and there seems to be some confusion about
    this so I am not sure.....

2. O.K....I have figured it out.....

My problem was that I was testing the ftp connection using a command line interface....I don't know why but this did not like the username with the pipe.

After thinking about it for a while I decided to use a browser with username that involved the pipe and this worked.....so I then tried it with Visual Studio
    and got it working there.....

I don't know if the project runs or not, but I can now publish a project to dasp with Visual Studio 2008.:)

3. Same Problem

How did you get it to work in VS? I can't get it to accept the format with the pipe.

Thanks ahead of time,
    Steve

4. Once I figured out that I need to use the entire ftp string (xxxx|yyyyy) I did not have a problem.

I made sure to use ftp://ftp.my_dsap_site. for the address and then used the full FTP user name and password.... and it worked.

I initially had trouble with error messages because of the pipe...which is why I posted the original message...using the command line interface...but when I went back to it, being very careful on the typing I was able to get even the command line interface to account the username with the pipe.....so I don't know what to suggest to you to fix your error....I would make sure that you are using the correct ftp address and be careful typing the name in...it is easy to mistype the name....good luck.

5. Thanks for the response. I realized after I replied the first time you were successful using VS and I was using Expression Web 2 which I found out can't login.
    Thanks again,
    Steve

6. mjp

mjp

Yeah, an FYI to all Expression Web/IIS 7 users, the program chokes on the pipe in the username. We have a KB article about that.

Microsoft is aware of the problem and say they will fix it (someday).

7. Note: The bug report for this is commissioned on my Microsoft Connect account and it was closed 23 Feb 2009 per this official notice:

Quote. . .
    Version 3 of Expression Web will support usernames that contain the pipe character, so keep an eye on either the team blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/xweb or the Expression website at www.microsoft.com/expression for the availability of version 3. A fix for earlier versions of the program isn't planned.

8. mjp

mjp

So maybe "someday" will actually arrive! ;)

9. ...Slowly for sure.
    Remember the Classic ASP IIS Sessions but where underscores in the Server name would cause sessions to die? Gosh that was aggravating. ;-)