FTP APPE (Append/Resume) fails due to IIS problem.

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by JacePriester, Nov 18, 2010.

1. I'm uploading a large file (160mb). The upload fails every time (there's problem one) - I don't have any issue uploading to my other web hosts. In addition, I can't append/resume the transfer due to a bug (Microsoft describes it as "by design") in IIS/Microsoft FTP.

The bug is described as follows (pulled from another message board):

"""The file you're trying to upload is still opened on the target filesystem (this is a problem I've seen so far only with Windows based FTP servers due to exclusive file locks). The IIS FTPd seems to not close the file handles somehow. There's nothing you can do from the client's end other than wait. If it doesn't resolve, you must contact the server staff."""

After several retries, no luck. My FTP error log reads as follows:

-----------------
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
    Status: Starting upload of C:\Documents and Settings\Jace\Desktop\MyLargeFile.zip
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (64,22,138,9,19,213).
    Command: APPE MyLargeFile.zip
    Response: 550 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    Error: Critical error
    -----------------

I need this fixed ASAP or I will be forced to switch web hosts. I'm submitting here for help from the community (workaround?) and also submitting to DiscountASP support. Thank you all.

2. ..Have you tried without Passive mode?
    Passive mode can be very buggy from Microsoft formats across routers.

3. Also, it's recommended to make sure you enable keep-alives on your FTP client, to prevent the FTP clients connection from being severed.