Ftp Tranferr

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by garyrh, Sep 10, 2007.

1. One site with discount asp connects fine in passive mode while another (at the suggestion of support) requires active mode.

Any idea why this would be?

2. Yes it is the same computer same location with antivirus connected to LAN that has firewall.

3. Can you clarify if you are accessing both ftp site from the same computer. Also let us know if you have a firewall and antivirus installed when accessing the FTP site either from the same computer or different locations.

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. It is possible that your firewall may have blacklisting capability thus allowing certain domains to use the ftp port while others it will block. With firewalls FTP has always been a little tricky. Some firewalls are so strong that it won't even allow ftp connect using Passive mode. I suggest checking your firewall and making sure that both ports 21 and 20 are open and configure both ftp clients to connect via Active Port mode.

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. I am having a similar problem. I only seem to have this problem on myhosting accounts that have an SSL certificate installed. I've disabled my windows firewall and my virus software. I don't think I have anything else that is blocking it. I've tried various FTP programs and windows FTP and still have trouble uploading. It will sometimes upload 512k or shows as 0 bytes. The FTP log shows a 426 error connection closed; transfer aborted. I've tried both passive and active modes - no luck. Any ideas? I really need to upload a file. Thanks for any help you can offer.

6. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

in my experience, this type of issue is almost always associated with Network Firewall / Router issue.

Are you using a DSL or Cable router? If so, try bypass it and connect your computer directly to the DSL line.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

7. Yes, I had to re-boot my router and disable my firewall to get it to work. Do you happen to know what settings I should add to the Windows Firewall settings for using the Windows Explorer FTP? Thanks for your help.

--Angela

8. Try to make sure that the ftp ports are open. Ports 21 and 20.

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET