Generating a PDF

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by paulsss, Jan 16, 2008.

1. I'm trying to convert my aspx page into a pdf.

I tried using ABCpdf.net and I was not able to achieve what I needed. After reading the following article,http://kb.discountasp.net<WBR>/article.aspx?id=10293 , I learned that the methods used to render a PDF doc are not supported.

Does anyone elserecommend any other means of converting a aspx into PDF?

Thanks,
    paul

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

i don't think so. When you want to turn an html document (through HTTP) into a PDF, all the components I have seen uses the IE engine. We do not allow web application to use the IE engine because it has many security issue which can potentially get the server infected w/ Virus.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Thanks for the great information everyone. Dave, I will look into what you suggested. You're right, it's harry, but sometimes you have no choice.

Thanks!

4. If you use Visual Studio 2005 or better you should be able to connect to your DASP SQL server database and render the output to PDF using the Crystal Reports components. I just did a test and was able to render some data from the DASP servers to pdf, rpt, and rtf.

It can be done but will take creativity.

If I were going to tackle something like that I would convert my pages with System.Drawing to a graphic and insert into the database then re render in CR.

I have done something similar in the past at a minimal scope and it was not fun. /emoticons/freaked.gif