Get pop3 & smtp info right in Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Email' started by Briann, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hi,

I have no trouble using the settings I've entered to access my pop3 accounts in Outlook 2007. I've tried the best I can to duplicate Outlook settings in the account properties in Windows Live Mail. The two forms are different, and the wording is also. I need to use the smtp (and non-standard port), of my ISP for outgoing server, and that works in Outlook. So ports, passwords, server types, login ID's are all set the same as in Outlook, but won't work in WLM.

Anyone gone through setting up a pop3 in WLM yet? Seen where I may be going wrong? Setting up http accounts was no problem (done automatically, given basic info). I need to get my pope accounts going too. Thanks for any help. BRN..

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

3. Hi Bruce,

Thanks for picking up on this.

I've tried to do some research on Windows Live Mail, and I see it gets complicated. It may not be a problem with the settings I entered, it may be a problem with the way WLM handles POP3 accounts. It looks like there are restrictions(imposed by MS), on POP3 accounts, other than those created using Office Live.

There is a feature in WLM that allows you to groupPOP3 accounts that ARE accessed by other email clients, into a single email account pool, that you CAN access in WLM.

My guess is that the marketing people are putting limits on WLM so as not to compete with Outlook.

Also, I'm not sure if this is still Beta that I DL'd and installed. They keep changing the names and the features. I can say that it handles Hotmail and Yahoo http mail very well (with a an easier setup and better editor and security screening than Hotmail).

If you can load up WLM http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas , see if you can get access to one of your POP3 accounts, and let me know what the settings for each screen were that worked for you. That would be great. If it turns out that it's MS and WLM that are blocking the connection, I'll go with Thunderbird. I'll be loading Outlook 2007 on this laptop, but wanted a quick, lightweight (yet with good editing features), email client for use on the go. Thanks BRN..

4. There's a bug with Windows Live Mail that gives an error when connecting to a pop account. I have contacted Microsoft about this issue and they are aware of. Unfortunately they could not give me much detail or explanation why this is happening and up to this date I have not gotten a notification from Microsoft that this issue has been resolved. Since Microsoft Live Mail is still in beta stage, I recommend holding off on using this product for now or closely follow the community forum for any additional information on how to resolve this issue you are receiving.

5. Thanks RCP,

I saw a note about a POP3 bug, but nothing on resolution. I think the bug report was some months back, so I'd hope they would have sorted that one out by now - if they wanted to. Yes, I think it is public beta (I should check the build). I did see lot's of notes about the confusion caused by branding choices. I think MS really dropped the ball on this one. As far as I can tell Windows Mail Live is the current name for the email client, which was until recently called Windows Live Desktop; which replaces Windows Mail; which was intended to replace Outlook Express - that was about as like Outlook as Java Script is to Java. Hotmail, Live Mail, Hotmail Live; and let's not forget about MSN and its email client... A carrier in customer service is waiting for - everyone!

Unless there's a resolution soon, I think Thunderbird, with the new http extensions, will fit the bill. I'll keep an eye out here to see anyone does get a regular POP3 working with WML. BRN..

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.