Getting Very Poor Performance with GS Charts

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by cscordo, Jun 19, 2007.

1. It appears that the rest of my site works properly performance-wise, but for some reason, any pages which include a GS web chart works horribly slow. This is concerning to me, as my homepage contains one of these charts, and this is one of the reasons I selected DiscountASP.net as a hosting provider.

The performance of the same exact code is fine when run locally or on my staging server.

I've checked my tempfiles directory where the chart images are being stored, and this seems to occur properly.

I have debug set to false in my web.config, and below is the block which contains the GS assemblies. Please note, the lines commented out below were done so as they were causing errors when placed in my webspace. They do not appear to affect anything though, as I have removed them on my dev/staging environment with no consequence.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

3. I used a URL which polled the site and then rated it's 'actual' speed from Modem to T1- all of those were in the 15-30 second range.

If there is something else I should use, I would appreciate it.

4. Can you provide us with the url to your site under question?

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. http://www.itilprime.com

Pages with charts take a very long time to load - ie. the home page. Other pages pop up with little or no delay.

6. So I'm still getting crappy performance using this DASP component, and it could seriously affect my site's audience.

Any ideas of how to best implement these charts to improve this? As it stands right now, I've tried accessing my site from 3 seperate PCs and locations, and it takes 30+ seconds for charts to load. It looks like they load faster within a certain timeframe after a first visit, leading me to believe a caching mechanism exists.

But is the GS chart that poorly written for the web that it takes so long to delete, generate, display images?

7. [Problem Solved - I think]

For anyone else who may have this problem in the future, the Graphics Server support team has suggested I use an ImageFileMode of 'ByteStream' rather than 'WriteToDisk'. Meaning, the chart is not saved as an image first, its simply streamed to the browser.

This appears to have fixed the performance issue I was experiencing.

8. mjp

mjp

Thanks for posting that. Your site pops up quickly now.

mjp

DiscountASP.NET - Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    - asp.netPRO Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best Hosting Service
    - Visual Studio Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best Hosting Service