Global Address Book and Calendar

Discussion in 'Email' started by john.hidey, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. -All-

My company needed a global address book and calendar that everyone could see and update. To do this I created a email user in smartermail and shared the calendar and contacts. The permissions that I assigned to these to shared resources was full control to everyone. I then logged into my email account and mapped the shared resource to my profile. All was working great at this point. I can add/update/delete anything on the mapped resouces.

Now this is where the problem comes in. We wanted to be able to view this calendar/contacts in our local oulook. No big deal, right, just go to the resource and click the "Add to Outlook". Well, that worked and I was getting excited that all was going to work properly. But then I noticed that inside outlook the permissions on the contacts/calendars that I added were read only. I can do whatever I want to do from the web interface, but would really like to be able to do with Outlook.

I should mention that I am using Outlook 2007.

Can anyone provide me with some information as to why this is the case.

Thanks in advance.

John Hidey

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hmm.. i don't think the sync tool will push the Outlook content to SmarterMail.

I suggest you post this to the SmarterMail forum and I am sure they will consider adding this feature if there's enough demand.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Check out the Smartermail Sync tool.
    It's a free addon they have for Outlook and it works great.
    It can sync your RSS feeds, Calendar, etc.

4. I am already using the Sync Tool. This doesn't help. The problem is in the way that "Add to Outlook" works when it adds an Address Book / Contacts List to Outlook. I can see all the contacts and appointments on the calendar just fine. The problem is that when I try to add one on the Outlook side and then go to click the save button on the new contact or approintment is that it tells me that I have only read permissions to this list. They apprently add these container as SharePoint list into Outlook.

Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.