Hardware spam filter

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Bruce, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

I don't know much on how this box really work but I'll try answer some of your questions

Q1:I don't think you can report spam because the solution doesn't only block email based on content filtering.

Q2: I don't think this is possible

Q3: Just create a support ticket, it will be forwarded to our email admin.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

2. I've beenchosen to take part in the evaluation and testing of the hardware spam filter. All I can say is, it's about time that a spam filter was added! Whilst I don't get a lot of spam (am very careful), despite having the same email address/domain for nearly8+ years now, I do get some.

I do have a couple questions in regards to it however.
    1. Is it possible for users to be able to flag email as spam, and have them blocked at the hardware end?
    2. Instead of all spam simply being returned directly to sender, would it be possible to have a notification send to the target email address indicating that a spam email has been blocked. Then have this option available to the user to enable/disable this notification?
    3. How do we provide feedback on this service? The email says that they look forward to received feeback, but how do we go about this?
    4. I'm sure that I can think of more, but this is all for now.

George

George Leithead
    InternetWideWorld.com

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Not currently.

Good thing to know is that the false positive rate on this device is very very low (1 in 1 million according to the vendor).

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. Not sure if the service has been implemented yet or not, but I do appear to be getting less spam (not that I
    received much anyway!).

Is therea way, for this trial, to get a report on mail sent to my domain, and information on spam filtered?

George Leithead
    InternetWideWorld.com

5. SinceI last posted to this thread, the amount of spam I get has increased massivley, and I have no idea why (
    I only sign up to services temporarily with a temp email address before deleting it!). I used to get maybee one spam message per month, now I get about 10 per day (1,000% increase), and they all appear to be generated from the Americas.

They are all quite obviously SPAM email too, so I was wondering why the hardware filter was not picking them up? They all come from stupid sender names and have related subjects (such as from: Marlene Richards, Subject: Marlene says Hi, or something like: From: William Orb, subject: The Orb Report). I've also checked the email header information and none of them originate from the same domain as the email address used.

George Leithead
    InternetWideWorld.com

6. George,

Try openning a support ticket with this issue. Our email administrators are still fine tuning the spam filter hardware. If there are spams getting through they will need to know about to keep adjusting the filter settings.