Has something been updated at dASP causing .Net components to act erratically?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by cscordo, Sep 5, 2007.

1. All of the sudden my site, which relies on AJAX for a core component, is acting very erratically. I have the same codebase on my local dev server and it is working as expected.

I have customers ranting about these issues, but cannot reproduce them outside of dASP.

Is something going on?

2. Is there a phone number I can use to contact someone at dASP? This is quickly becoming an urgent issue.

3. I just tested the stored procedures (SQL 2005), and they are returning the data as expected.

This appears to be an issue at the application layer- with AJAX losing track of IDs. I haven't updated this component since 7/14/07, and this is the first I've seen problems.

4. Ok, I can confirm that USER IDs are getting 'swapped' as multiple users access the same component on the site.

I am going to see if restarting the web service fixes this.

5. Ok, I recycled the Application Pool, but it still appears that USER IDs are getting swapped as people log back in.

Any idea what's going on here? Will starting / stopping the web site make any difference?

6. UGH.

Hours later and we found the cause: A public static variable had been used in a component used by multiple users, causing USER IDs to get swapped by the system under unique circumstances. A fix has been applied (switched to a Session variable for that component), and we're nervously optimistic that its been resolved.

7. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff