HEEEELP!!! with sending the e-mails from the ASP.NET 2.0 application.

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by calinurseex, Mar 21, 2006.

1. I need to be able to send an e-mail to the specified e-mail address from the application.
    The following is the code snippet I am using to execute the task:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MailMessage Message = new MailMessage();
    Message.IsBodyHtml = true;
    Message.To.Add( new MailAddress(mToEmail)) ;
    Message.From = new MailAddress(mFromEmail);
    Message.Subject = mSubject;
    Message.Body = mBody ;
    SmtpClient smtp = new SmtpClient(mSmtpHost, mSmtpPort);

smtp.Send(Message);
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am using the following information to send an e-mail:

smtpHost ='mail.calinurseexpress.com'
    smtpPort ='587'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The application is sending an e-mail in the synchronous mode. I am getting the following error:

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Failure sending mail. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.ServicePoint.GetConnection(PooledStream PooledStream, Object owner, Boolean async, IPAddress& address, Socket& abortSocket, Socket& abortSocket6, Int32 timeout) at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback) at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback) at System.Net.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback, Int32 creationTimeout) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.GetConnection(String host, Int32 port) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.GetConnection(String host, Int32 port) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.GetConnection() at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)

I also tried to use localhost:

SmtpClient smtp = new SmtpClient('localhost', mSmtpPort);

It did not work and I got the same error.

Do I need to provide the port infomation? If yes, is the port info correct? I am use 587 port.
    What I am missing?

Post Edited (Lana) : 3/21/2006 3:40:46 AM GMT

2. Lana, is there a user name and password that might need to be supplied here?

You can supply the SMTP information in the web.config file as follows, if you didn't know;
    <system.net>
    <mailSettings>
    <smtp from="[email protected]">
    <network port="25" host="mail.mysite.com" userName="[email protected]" password="password"/>
    </mailSettings>
    </system.net>
    Default mail port is 25, which is not necessary to supply if it is 25.
    Here is a B-Basic article on sending mail in ASP.NET 2.0;
    http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/EmailApplication.asp

Hope this helps!
    BZ

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Make sure you set the mail server to 'Localhost'

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. This works for me... Not sure if it is the proper way to do it or not...

<mailSettings>
    <smtp from="[email protected]">
    <network host="localhost" port="25" defaultCredentials="true" />
    </smtp>
    </mailSettings>

5. hi
    I have a same error in my remoting application. every thing is ok if i am calling my remote method from a windows application. but getting the error

System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host,at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP),at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket&amp; socket, IPAddress&amp; address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception&amp; exception),- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(),at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpClientTransportSink.ProcessAndSend(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders headers, Stream inputStream),at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders&amp; responseHeaders, Stream&amp; responseStream),at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SoapClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg),Exception rethrown at [0]:,at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg),at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&amp; msgData, Int32 type)

when iam calling the method from a windows service with exact same code.

so please any one have any isea to solve this let me know.its very urgent
    nibedita