Help in configuring ASP roles and memberships

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Bruce, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

2. Hi,

I have followed the instructions indicated in the knowledge base and have created the Membership Tables in the SQL Server 2005 database. I have remotely connected to the database and have confirmed that the tables are there. How do you setup the roles and users as the ASP.NET configuration menu is not available from VS2005 when I connect to the website. I am running VS2005 team edition.

I have tried the web permissions menu item, however there are no options for configuring users and roles.

I have tried the connection string you suggested in the KB article, and have just tried the settings suggested by MSDN. Neither methods provides a means for configuring the roles and users.

Please help as I am now completely lost as to what to do next?

3. Hi,

Well I have solved the problem!

It seems that the Configure ASP.Net option is not available within VS2005 when you are connected to a production server. As far as I can tell, VS determines any IIS remote website as a production server, as I built a IIS webserver at home and connected my development machine to it, and the menu options are not available.

As far as I can see there are two ways to configure these roles and memberships on a "production" webserver.

1.Use the "APIs"

2. The method I used was to DTS the contents of the ASP memberships and roles table datafrom the SQLExpress tables to the SQL Server online. This needs to be done in two stages as DTS is not intelligent enough to work out the correct order of data transfer.

Cheers,

James