How do I keep my email addresses when I change the DNS?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by icebreaker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Please help me with the Dns and email addresses migration.

I am having a domain [email protected] at register.com.
    My current hosting and email is with hostmonster.com.
    Now I need to point the register.com DNS to ns1.discountasp.net.
    How do I point my DNS and keep my current email addresses
    ( 8 employees: [email protected], [email protected], ...., [email protected]).

1. How long does this change take effect?
    2. Can discountasp support do this for me?
    3. Can anybody give me straight forward instructions on how to do this?

Any help is welcome.
    Thanks

2. dmitri

dmitri DiscountASP.NET Staff

If you are planning to use email services provide by us, you will need to create all email addresses you are planning to use in SmarterMail before you setup nameservers pointing to us. Once you created email addresses, you can set the name servers to our name servers. It will take about 30 minutes in the best case and up to 72 hours in the worst case for the new DNS setting to fully propagate through the Internet. Technical support staff cannot create, delete, or later your email accounts and their settings.

To crate email accounts in SmarterMail on discountASP.NET, please follow the instructions below:

1. Go to your email manager https://my.discountasp.net/email-manager/default-sm.aspx
    2. Click on “SmarterMail Management Login as Primary Admin” link
    3. Click on settings button
    4. Expand “Domain Settings” folder
    5. Click on “Users” link
    6. Click on “Add New User” button
    7. Type in required information
    8. Press “Save” button after you are done

3. If you are having your site hosted by us, but the email hosted elsewhere, you can go in the Control Panel to the DNS Manager, where you can edit the DNS of your domain to point to the email server elsewhere.

This way when you make the name server switch to us, your email will still continue to point to the mail server you've specified.

Maybe I misread your question however. I dunno!