How do you increase session timeout on discountasp?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by kj60, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Hi

Our site has a login admin section for various users. I want to increase the session timeout length from 20 minutes to 60 minutes so that the users have more time to do their work.

However when I add <sessionState timeout='60' /> to our web.config file I get the following error:

'Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.'

Is there a way of increasing session timeout on discountasp.net? Can I configure IIS to do this? I am a new user and don't really want to mess around with IIS until I know, or at least think I know, what I'm doing :)

On a similar note I also notice that sessions timeout much, much earlier than 20 minutes - this happens on the odd occasion. Is this just a server 'blip' - perhaps caused by another user on the same server?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Kevin

<u>

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

this error means that you have not configured the directory as an application root. You can only set Session Attribute on app root.

Use the control panel's web application tool to mark the directory as an application.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Thanks Bruce. When I go to the 'Web Application Tool' and look at my root folder there is no 'Install Application' button. This button only appears on my sub-folders. Do I have to make my sub-folder an application? I actually only need the longer session timeout of 60 minutes in one particular admin sub-folder - and not on the main end user site. Do I make this admin folder an application and add a web.config file here with a longer session timeout?

Presumably I can Uninstall Application if I make a mistake? - as I said this is a new area for me :)

4. Your root is always a web application, it's the parent web application that is inherited by all subfolders.

Joel Thoms
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET