how do you rename default website in IIS ??

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by brea245, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Have to point IIS box to my website for the encrypt exercise to work.

So http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10478states:
    You can then run the aspnet_regiis.exe tool to encrypt. For example, if you want to encrypt the connectionStrings of the WebSite1 application in the "Default Web Site" on your local computer, run the following command on your computer:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -pe "connectionStrings" -site "Default Web Site" -app "/WebSite1"

Upload your application to your DiscountASP website. The DiscountASP server should be able to decrypt your web.config since the same RSA key is installed on the server.

Ok, my problem is input "default web site" what goes in here a specific name or directory point??

"/WebSite1" I guess this input is suppose to be my specific web site project name.

I'm using IIS manager to rename. Will this name change, change any projectsettings?

My VWD2005 web.config file app throws a underline: "not declared" statement...whatever that means?

on these container tags:
    keyContainerName="NetFrameworkConfigurationKey_username"
    useMachineContainer="true" />

"...Upload your application" after the cmd prompt string is activated.

So what's suppose to happen??

2. my website name fails under the cmd prompt input below.

My IIS manager has Default Web Site setup name. But 'Default Web Site' input belowalso fails.

Substitute inputs in the cmd line below fail.

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -pe "connectionStrings" -site "Default Web Site" -app "/WebSite1"

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

hmm.. i don't know...

I can't really tell how your IIS is setup so its difficult to suggest a remedy.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

this depends on how your local IIS is setup. Choose the website name where your application is under.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET