How to export/backup email?

Discussion in 'Email' started by SAMWeb, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Although DiscountASP.net has been a wonderful solution for us, we are changing technologies and need to move to a host with Drupal support.

We have about 20 Smartermail email addresses being used right now, and all of the users are quite upset that their emails will be going away when we move to the new host. I told them they could forward their emails to another email address, but that didn't fly since many of them keep everything, and this would entail forwarding hundreds of emails one by one.

So, is there any way at all that I can do a bulk export/backup of each existing Smartermail account?

Thanks!

2. mjp

mjp

Afraid not. SmarterTools is working on a mail migration tool for a future version of SmarterMail, but there is nothing available at the moment (and we have no plans to move to a new version of SmarterMail any time soon).

Even if your users keep everything, old messages are likely flagged as "read" which makes even downloading using a desktop email client difficult.

I'm not sure how much you could really do with the mail files anyway. Even if you could download all the mail, it is unlikely it could be imported into the new mail system.

Contacts can be exported, if that's any consolation.

3. Have them download the messages to their email clients.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.