HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found (Custom Error Page Setup)

Discussion in 'Windows / IIS' started by imchaz, Feb 12, 2013.

1. if I have a user that selects www.mydomain.com/directorythatdoesntexist

A server Error in Application "my domain" appears.
    Basically a HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found Page

How do I get it to go to a custom page?

I went to my Control Panel | IIS Tools | Custom Errors tab
    In the path, I entered
    ErrorPages/404.htm or ErrorPages/404.asp

Both paths, it said it was updated.

I created two pages to see if either works, but the IIS 7 still serves up a 404.0 page when I put in a bogus URL on my site? I do have a custom error setup for .aspx pages and it works fine.

How do I fix this for non-aspx pages? Thanks.

2. Never mind....

I just realized, I set the custom error path in the wrong website host account.

3. You should try connecting to your site with IIS Manager and setting up your custom 404 error page from there, IIS handles custom error pages related to non ASP.NET code.

This Knowledge Base article will show you how to connect to your hosting space with IIS Manager.

https://support.discountasp.net/KB/a400/how-to-connect-to-windows-2008iis-7-using-microsoft.aspx

Once connected navigate to the Error Pages module, right click on the 404 error and select “Edit Feature Settings”.

You will be able to specify a custom 404 error page file from there.

You may also have to turn off detailed error pages in your web.config.

If even after configuring your custom 404 error pages in IIS Manager you cannot get your custom errors to work, please PM me your domain name so I can take a look personally.

mjp likes this.
  4. Thank you for your followup. I shall look into this too.

5. youngt465

youngt465 Guest

Thank for the details you give I have tried it and then found out that it was having trouble in this issue then I tried your suggestions then it was solve.

martino and RayH like this.