Issues with setting redirect on 401 page error

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by crashguy, Oct 3, 2006.

1. I'm hoping someone can help me.

Basically i've password protected an area, and when the user logs in and they either dont login correctly, or press cancel it comes to the default microsoft error message. and i want to set into the web config to redirect them.

However there apparently is a known error with this accroding to research i've done, i'm hoping someone may be able to offer me any suggestions or things they've tried and successfully implemented?

I've already tried setting this in the global.aspx all it does is as soon as i click the link it automatically redirects. without ever prompting for a login.

Thanks

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Let me make sure I understand this completely

- I supposed you are talking about Windows Authentication here. yes?
    - Do you want to send invalid login user to another page rather than just showing them the 403 generic error?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Apologies it hasn't been the best morning... yes, those two are what im trying to do. It's simple windows authentication, and yes, an invalid login (or clicking cancel on the login box) will redirect.

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

You cannot do this programatically because the error is being thrown by IIS rather than ASP.NET.

You will need to have custom error for 403.1. You can create custom errors for 404 and 500 in the control panel but we have to configure 403.1 for you manually.

Please create a support ticket and request support to configure a custom error (IIS) for 403.1 error.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET