Lately: LOTS of FTP 550 Access denied: anyone else getting this?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by Hutchinson, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Hi,

During the past 2 weeks or so I've been getting a lot of 550 Access denied errors while using Filezilla to upload files to my site. These are aspx files and when the error occurs the files is only partially upload. Of course this creates havac for my users as the site becomes unusable.

Is anyone else seeing the same?

I don't know if its Filezilla (latest 3.1.6) or DASP, or what? I've sent a couple of tickets to the DASP help desk, and the problem seems to clear up after awhile, but they aren't getting back to me about any resolution.

Jack[​IMG]

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

are you hosted on an IIS 7.0 server? There's some known file locking issue with FTP 7 itself and we have notified the IIS team.

3. yes I'm running IIS 7. Thanks for the info. It's still happening but seems to happen only on my slower home connection. Guess I will just deal.

4. Bruce

There's a bug w/ the IIS 7 FTP server related to file locking. When your connection breaks, the file handle on the server somehow remains open even after the disconnection.

In most cases, the file lock will release after 10 - 15 minutes (don't ask me why it takes so long!!!). In rare situation, it will remain locked until the FTP service is restarted.

5. That's what I've been experiencing, 10 -15 minutes before it allows me to start FTP-ing again. My problem is that I'm in a "code/no debugger/live test" mode of rapid development so this can cause me to work for a few minutes and then get stuck waiting for the lock to clear. Anyone know how to avoid or minimize getting these deadly locks?

jack

6. Bruce

this usually happens when the connection is disconnected (by either slow connection or firewall or AV software). In your case, it looks like the culprit is slow connection.

7. I think I have a solution

If your ftp is accessing a UNC path (i.e. \\servername\directory\etc\etc\) then it is possible that the SMB share is caching and thus locking the file. This http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd296629(WS.10).aspx page has a couple of steps to resolution. There may be other things...I didn't bookmark everything I used but I believe that I have resolved my issue with FTP 550 errors and file locks. Good luck.