Latest Mail Sys updates...beta

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by wisemx, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Salutations,
    This is only intended as feedback, a positive suggestion. . .

Please, pretty please, I'm begging...Trash the PHP Mail systems.

Please provide us, DASP customers, with somethingutilizing Microsoft technologies.

I know you guys are most interested in the most cost efficient, reliable, system but, please.
    All the best,
    Mark Wisecarver

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Mark,

Believe me.. we tried to find an ASP.NET webmail but all the ones we found are very bad!!

Anyone want to develop one for us? :)

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. We've mentioned the awesome .NET mail components hosted on the servers here before...

I do think it would be a great DASP open source community project for some of us to create a server with them.

We even have the capabilities to include new features for mobile devices, CELL, Pager, etc.

I'm all for it, could even be a bit of fun.

btw, please bear with me because I certainly, absolutely, hate PHP and the way it has treated MSFT.
    (It is comical however to see MSFT creating new code for PHP developers.)
    Salute,
    Mark Wisecarver

4. Sorry about waking an old Horse but...
    I forgot to come back to this thread and say thanks for setting us up withSmarterMail. [​IMG]
    Absolutely love it. [​IMG]
    Salute,
    Mark

5. Bruce

hehe.. nice of you to remember.

70% of our customers have been migrated to SmarterMail and let me tell you, migration is NOT fun!

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

6. Oh boy do I know that one for sure bro.
    May have mentioned one of my nightmare migration projects a few years back...
    An entire Oracle "World", U.S. and Germany, huge system I converted to 100% Msft technology.
    I had never worked with Oracle but of course being a Msft fan I gave the project 110%.
    Salute,
    Mark

7. Bruce

8. You are on target, I agree.
    For years I've been helping game developers in Valves vBulletin forums.
    They have one of the most active forums on the net.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

I agree about how difficult it is to find a better .NET forum.

Community Server, the ASP.NET forums, others that have been mentioned.
    Still no competition for the one I posted above.

It would take a lot of work but I think we should get started now.
    With the advent of the new .NET framework, Ajax, Silverlight, heck we might even get some Msft support. [​IMG]

Yes I could kick myself for not starting this 2 years ago. [​IMG]
    Salute,
    Mark

9. mjp

mjp

wisemx said...
    You are on target, I agree.
    For years I've been helping game developers in Valves vBulletin forums.
    They have one of the most active forums on the net.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

I agree about how difficult it is to find a better .NET forum.

Community Server, the ASP.NET forums, others that have been mentioned.
    Still no competition for the one I posted above.

Wow,steampowered.com might havethe biggest list of sub forums I've ever seen! Heh. Active, yes, that is the definition of an activeforum. I'm always curious about the hardware setup for those million-posts-plus forums. Their database(s?) must be massive.

Community server is nice, but it tends to be slow, and, again, the management side of things is still very basic. If you've worked with vB you know that they have put a ton of development intostreamlining administrative and moderation tasks. There is admittedly a bit of alearning curve for a new admin or moderator, but once you get the hang of it, nothing else really comes close.

But there is definitely a market to be tapped for whoever can develop a comparable .NET forum application.[/quote]

mjp
    ---
    DiscountASP.NET

10. mjp

mjp

I hope you don't hold us to that wherea new forum is concerned... ;) I have not been able to find a .NET forum that is anywhere within spitting distance of the established php alternatives. It's not so much the public-facing aspects that fall short, but the day to day management tools. The best .NET forum I've played with isreally a kind of a clone of the vBulletin and phpBB user interfaces, but withoutequivalent back-end tools.I admit that Iam biased (or spoiled) becasue I manage a busy vBulletin forum, so I livewith the differences every day.Things that take a few minutesto do on vB take literally hours to do (or can't be done at all)here on dotNetBB.

Heresy, I know.Consider thispost atrial balloon. I fully expect it to be shot down by the faithful. Heh. But whatever happens, the goal is to eventuallymove away from thisdotNetBB forum,but retain all the user data and content ona new forum.Keepingthe content isdefinitely a requirement. We aren't starting over from scratch.

mjp
    ---
    DiscountASP.NET