Login Control Isn't Working

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by TheKid101, Jan 23, 2008.

1. I have an account at Discount ASP.NET. The basic account; no upgrades.

When I uploaded my files to the server, and when I try to login to my Login control, I get the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +800131
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +186
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject) +737554
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject) +114
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart) +421
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +181
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +173
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +133
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +30
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) +424
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +66
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +494
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +82
    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(HttpContext context, Boolean revertImpersonate) +84
    System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +197
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPasswordWithFormat(String username, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Int32& status, String& password, Int32& passwordFormat, String& passwordSalt, Int32& failedPasswordAttemptCount, Int32& failedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount, Boolean& isApproved, DateTime& lastLoginDate, DateTime& lastActivityDate) +1121
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +105
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean failIfNotApproved) +42
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password) +83
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e) +160
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +105
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +99
    System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +163
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1746

2. Are you trying to connect to a SQL Express DB?

3. It was the one that was automatically created for me when I went into the ASP.NET Configuration. I made a fake user and then started adding people with the CreateUserWizard control.

But yes, I do believe it's an Express DB.

4. For SQL Server DB's...Express can't be used here but...
    If you add on a SQL Server 2005 to your account you can mount the DB.
    The other optionswould beto port your code so it uses XML or Access.
    Salute,
    Mark

5. So I have to upgrade my account just to use the SQL DB that Visual Studio made for me?

6. To use SQL Server features you will need to add SQL Server to your account.