@Mail Feedback

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by JStengel, May 1, 2007.

1. 1) The current system is butt-ugly but,it's fast and simple. Don't forget that.

2) The beta requires username, domain name, and password. I know you're just trying to get people to understand that they need to use their email address as their username. This is an example of designing for the lowest level user which makes it inefficient for the majority of your users. Please don't leave it like this.

3) You can't seriously expect regular users to select from "Simple (Any Browser)", "Simple (AJAX)", "Advanced (IE 6+)", and"Advanced (Mozilla)".C'mon...Even saavy destop users will be mystified by these developer options. New users aren't equipped to make an informed decision during their first login. This is a basic UI design concept. I would only make this an option AFTER login--in the "Settings" area.

4)The"Advanced (IE 6+)" option isa joke. Anyone capable of understanding the advanced features wouldn't tolerate the horribly slow interface, IMHO.

Overall, not a bad direction as long as the interface remains intuitive for my non-tech users. Stray from that and I'm gone.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Thank you for your suggestions.

Note that you can also install your own webmail client on your site as well. I have seen many customers installing different types of webmail software.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. It probably had little to do with my feedback but, just so know I was paying attention, thank you allfor goingwith a different mail client than @Mail.

Nice job on picking out this new one--SmarterMail. Very fast. Easy to login/use.

The RSS & Outlook synchis a really nice touch as well.

4. I also like the choice of SmarterMail. Now hopefully it doesn't bog down like @Mail did whenever everyone is transitioned to the new platform.

5. Bruce

SmarterMail should not slow down as compare to @Mail or SquirrelMail because unlike @Mail / SquirrelMail, SmarterMail is distributed across many different systems.

We are very please with the performance so far.

Let us know if you have any feedback so we can pass it along to the SmarterTools people.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

6. Performance has been great. As good or better than I had w/ SquirrelMail. The preview screen help with flipping through mail faster too.

A couple of minor suggestions to pass along...
    • It seems like there should be a delete button in the preview pain next to the Forward, Reply, etc buttons. I know there are other options but, my wife/test user had a hard time figuring out how to delete messages at first.
    • It would be easier to distinguish buttons in the menu bars if they were a different color than the menu bar. They kind of blend in.
    • It would be nice to have the option of three vertical panels (folders, messages, preview). 3 vertical panelswould worknice with widescreen laptops and monitors.

7. Bruce