Making an update of a single page

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by jpalatine, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Hi,

I have published my website using Visual Studio 2005 publish. I precompiled and used single page dlls. Now I need to update 1 page. I tried moving the .ASPX and .VB to the root directory but that didn't work. It kept the old dll. How do you update just one page and one codebehind?

Thanks, Jim

2. I don't think you can just update one page without uploading the entire application as a whole. That's the main purpose of publishing a pre-compiled site.

If you have a copy of yourentire application's source code, I suggest deleting the version on the server and instead upload an non-precompiled version of it, so that simple changes won't require you to publish the entire app in the future.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

I am confused!!

In your original post, you said your site is precompiled and the latest post you said it is not precompiled. Can you clarify?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. Hi,

I did not check the precompiled checkbox, that is what was so confusing. It gave me an error message saying it was precompiled. So I started over. Deleted everything off the website. Here is what I am doing that appears to work although it certainly isn't the way I would like it. In the publish function I do not check any of the options. I then publish the entire site. When I have a single page to change, I publish to a directory locally and then do an FTP on the bin directory. This seems to be the easiest way I have found. I was under the impression that there was a way to make a change to the .aspx and .vb for a single page and then just FTP those components up. I hope this isn't too confusing. I am really trying to find the easiest and most straightforward way to maintain the site.

Thanks, Jim

5. "The directory '/App_Code/' is not allowed because the application is precompiled" is the error message
    i received when I just upload the source. It is not precompiled.

6. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

The last time you published, you probably checked the pre-compiled option. Once you do that, the precompile.config (or some file named similiar to this) will be uploaded.

If you do not use precompile, I recommend you use the Copy Website feature rather than the publish feature of VS.NET. See http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10364

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET