Memory Profiling and Memory Questions

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by strazz, Apr 17, 2008.

1. This is not an urgent question but more of a curiosity thing. Is there a program that will load test your web apps and alert you if you cross a certain memory threshhold? I think I read somewhere that discountasp.net caps your memory at 100mb. I'm curious about how many users I can handle before the application would recycle?

As an aside, I only store one item in Session and it can only get so big. I was wondering if there is a way to just view items in Cache and Session and see how much actual memory they take up. I know there are products that do this but they also do a million other things it seems like and I was wondering if someone had some experience in this area and could recommend something.

I'm not seeing any app recycles now so like I said this isn't urgent but it'd be nice to have a hold on what the limits are but be able to test on my local machine, we don't want load testing being done on discountasp.net's servers!! /emoticons/smile.gif

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Memory usage doesn't directly correlate w/ the # of users you have but rather how the application is created. For example, heavily bloatted applications like DNN will use 65MB with the 1st hit.

You should be able to test your application on a dev environment. Simply pull up the task manager and check the memory usage on the w3wp.exe process.

Post Edited By Moderator (mjp [DASP]) : 5/5/2008 6:53:00 PM GMT