Missing Link icon.

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by NickR, Mar 4, 2008.

1. [​IMG]Need some help please. After a month of non-use, my website's link icon has vanished, making it impossible to update the site. How do I get it back? Have I buried a toolbar?
    NickR, [email protected]

2. Do you mean your root favicon.ico is missing?

3. [​IMG]Don't know what it's called but there used to be a 'chain' link icon at the top of the page when updating to allow you to select text and link the entry to either webtext or webgraphics. It's no longer there. Don't understand how it could have vanished but I cannot find another way toestablish links. Does that help?

Editor, The Chronicle Online, a community news-site for Nairobi suburbs of Karen and Langata, Kenya.

4. Sounds like you may be referring to a CMS or Blog system on your site that has a login section.
    Do you have a link to anything we might be able to investigate?

5. First, my apologies. I neglected to thank you for such a speedy reply.
    Blogs? No, I have not used them. CMS? I don't know what that means.The link icon as far as I know did not need a separate log-in. It was always there.
    The procedure was that having updatedtext or a graphic (or both)in a new Text/HTML module, I then selected some text (like 'click here')clicked on the chain icon and then supplied the route along which the relevant file was to be found either in webtext or webgraphics (to which it had been uploaded in advance). If the link failed, the icon showed the chain link as broken. With that icon missing, I cannot establish that link.
    Does that throw any light on my problem?

Editor, The Chronicle Online, a community news-site for Nairobi suburbs of Karen and Langata, Kenya.

6. No problems, enjoy helping, or at least an honest try...

CMS is a term for Content Management Systems.
    There are so many CMS packages none of us would be able to guess which or if any at all are being used.

Give us a few more hints and we may be able to help. [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]Believe me, I really do appreciate your help. I have 52 years experience in producing tabloid newspapers and only 18 months on websites, so the learning curve has hardly started.

Anyway, may I suggest you have a look at the site? www.karenchronicle.comwhich may give you some ideas or at least prompt some relevant questions. I don't know what else to suggest. I just don't understand howthe link facilitycould have vanished like this. Have I perhaps hidden a toolbar by pressing the wrong button? I have a feeling that the answer is not complicated, but then they never are once you have discovered them.

"Into they hands... etc."

Nick

8. [​IMG]Thank you, Mark. Yes, that rings a bell - DotNetNuke. I don't have a problem, however,logging on to the site. The problem is that when I do, I do not find I have the link icon that has been there in the past. Any advice on what do do to retrieve it once I have logged in?I have tried looking in the 'site' menu, in 'preferences' and virtually anywhere else.It used to be there when I set up a new text/HTML module, either for a new story or a new advertiser.

The missing link is the one between the module and 'webtext' or 'webgraphics'. In the past, after clicking on the missing link iconyou then had to provide the path for thefile you want linked - e.g. http://karenchronicle.com/portals/0/webtext/filename. The internal links which are built into the body text of the ads work fine as you will see if, for example, you click on it in the Serena ad under 'Notice Board'. Ittakes the reader directly to the Serena corporate website.

The Features Archive is a sub-section of the Features Column, not the main entry point for the Home Page.Under which of the Management Tools would I find Links? Any ideas?

Sorry to be such a nuisance. If you need a break please let me know.

Salaams,

Nick

9. I don't run DNN but I am familiar with it, however not to the point where I can remember what areas look like. [​IMG]
    Something I'd suggest is to use another browser to see if that allows the content to show.
    If it's not showing with IE, try Firefox, etc.
    This is often the cause of something like this.
    Salute,
    Mark

10. If I'm understanding NickR correctly, what's missing is the "anchor" button within the WYSIWYG editor that allows him to turn some text into a link. That button shouldn't disappear unless someone's been messing around with the code server-side.

11. [​IMG]Mark - That's a good idea. I'll try it with Firefox first thing tomorrow (We're GMT+3 here).

Jamie - I think you have identified it correctly. It's an icon that looks like three links of a chain. If you're right, why would anyone mess around with the site at server side? Could it happen just by corruption? IS there any way you can think of that I can resurrect it, as at the moment I cannot upload any material to the modules.

Nick

12. Best of the morning to you too. [​IMG]

13. [​IMG]Good morning, Mark. Good morning, Jamie. Good morning, all.

First things first. I must spend a little time updating the Notice Board and News in Brief columns on the site. I will do this by the old cut-and-paste method to keep the site current while I try to explore whatever avenues we can find. I can create a duplicate page by Control-N so that I don't necessarily screw up the site in ignorance.

ThenI will try to open up in Firefox, as was suggested. If all else fails, I suppose we can always invoke the help of St. Jude (patron of Lost Causes) or St. Patrick, since his Day comes up this month. Meantime, if anyone thinks of a way I can restore or find the missinglinkage, I would be most grateful.
    Nick

14. I can't imagine how that would've happened. It is possible that there's a setting somewhere in the admin settings to turn that off, but I sure don't remember one from my DNN days. I thought that was something that had to be set in a config file on the server.