MovableType

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by theharmonyguy, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Wow, I haven't been on the forum in a long time . . .

Just wanted to ask about something. MovableType is one of the most popular blog systems around the Net. People have set it up successfully on Windows servers (including myself) - it's Perl.

The distribution kindly includes a script to check if your server can handle MT. I just ran it and a few Perl modules were missing. I would think these would not be hard to install. Here's the list:

HTML::Template (version >=2) (Required for MT to work at all)
    Image::Size
    Image::Magick
    Crypt::DSA
    XML::Atom

Some of these, such as HTML::Template and Image::Size, appear to be self-installable (http://www.movabletype.org/docs/mtinstall.html#required/optional module installation steps). But this isn't true of all of them. All are freely available at CPAN (www.cpan.org), however.

What are the chances DASP would add these few modules to their servers? :) Doing so would allow DASP users to setup MovableType and blog away! I know there are ASP blogs, but personally I've never seen one that matched MT imho.

So anyway, just a simple request. Please consider it, having MT would be great!

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Welcome back.

I'll forward your question to our SA.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. DiscountASP support all the required modules for MovableType, the only modules missing are Image::Magick (needed only for creating thumbnails of uploaded images) and Crypt::DSA (for comment registration sign-ins acceleration). These 2 are both optional and will not affectthe installation.

Danny

Post Edited (Danny) : 12/11/2004 1:41:28 AM GMT

4. Um, my listing came straight from an mt-check.cgi run on my DASP server. HTML::Template was not installed and this is absolutely required for installation. The others are for extra features but they'd be really nice, and mt-check.cgi also showed them not installed. Still, at minimum HTML::Template is needed and mt-check.cgi did not find it. (I'm working with MT 3.1 btw.)

Thanks so much!

5. Can someone list the steps you use to install movabletype on discountasp.net.

Thanks,