Movie file converting

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Jugs0101, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Apologies, I should have explained myself better.
    What I need to do is for a user to upload a file (movie file), and then in the asp.net project convert it automatically into a .swf file and store it away for later playing. I can then delete the original that was uploaded.

I can obviously do this in my test environment no problem, which uses a command line argument (in and out file names)sent to an .exe (a movie file converter app). I cannot convert in this way on this webserver, as a binary file cannot be run for security reasons.

I was just wondering if anyone had come up with an ingenious way of automating this process in this environment.
    I can think of a way (polling for files on the web server from a pc attache dot the net, pulling them down to the pc, converting the file and transferring back up to webserver as a .swf file) but it seems a little long winded.

Any ideas... ?? :O)

Cheers,

Jugs

2. Cheers,

I'll have a delve....[​IMG]

Jugs

3. Hi

Does anyone know of a way -when using DiscountASP.Net as your webserver -how one might go about turning a video file (any format) into a Flash file (.swf).
    There are obviously applications that can do it, and .exe's that can be called from a command line, but these two ways are unavailable with this sort of webserver setup.

I just wondered if anyone had come up with any other way of implementing such a task...?

Thanks

Jugs

4. The major obstacle in regards to this for on-line components has been the format wars.

i.e., The recent 1.5 Billion dollar judgement against Microsoft for the MP3 format.

That sort of thing has most companies running scared.
    You can however safely, and efficiently, convert movie formats to SWF with Camtasia Studio.
    It's the same tool Microsoft and the on10 team uses for on-line video formats.

I used it to create a SWF web cast forone of the earlier Atlas videos and it streamed perfectly here.