MS SQL add on required for Web Site Administration?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by chriscanali, Mar 2, 2006.

1. I'd like to deploy a 2.0 website that makes use of the Web Site Adminstration tool, but is the only way to use it to pay for a MS SQL database? I don't even need to store (other) data but just want to have users login. Thanks.

2. Basically my goal is to use the login control, so I don't have to write code for checking logins, which appears to me that it requires the use of the "Web Site Administration" tool that is accessed through the Web Site menu, then "ASP.Net Configuration". That takes you to a local site to where you can add users, roles, etc... but it can only use the SQLprovider, so I am asking if in order to deploy a site like that,would I need to pay $10 a month just to have a SQL serverto connect to forstoring login information? Thank you.

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Huh..

i am not really sure what you mean. Do you mean you want to use the Membership / Role provider?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. The web admin tool will work with any membership provider you have installed on your site. you can even create a custom membership provider. But if you go with the sql membership provider, then yes you will need to have sql installed.

Joel Thoms

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

5. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Joel!