Multi Domains

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by buzzbox, May 16, 2009.

1. Hi

I would like to be able to have domain forwarding on sub directory's, this is quite important for me as I will have a number of Sites using a common database. But each site will have different users etc..

Many Thanks

2. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

You can use the Root Domain Pointer addon to point additional domains to the root of your hosted account and then programically redirect these domains to a subdirectory. The other option is to sign up another hosting account and use the database of your other hosting account - multiple hosting accounts can share a single sql database.

3. Domain Pointers and subdomains

I have purchased a few domain pointers for a couple of sites that I am hosting; however, it is very frustrating that your site will have to be accessed with a subfolder in your url.

I understand and agree that you should purchase a domain pointer. However, I really **dislike** the fact that you don't have a way to point your new domain to a subfolder directly. It gives an unprofessional look to your site if your domain looks like this: MyDifferentDomain.com/subfolder. You should give the opportunity to buy a domain pointer to allow the site to be like MyDifferentdomain.com instead.

Please, consider a way to implement this in your Domain Pointer control panel.

Thanks.

4. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

I guess its personal preference, but for me I want to get to the content that I'm looking for rather than having an opinion of what the url looks like. Even for Microsoft who I would consider "professional", if you go to the microsoft.com url, it brings up http://www.microsoft.com/en/us/default.aspx in my browser.

I think the URL needs to be clean for anyone typing it into the browser, but once on the site, the URL format does not matter as long as I can get to the content that I want to see. That's my opinion.

5. Hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn, but personally I've never quite understood the need for purchasing extra/additional domain pointers for DASP accounts since this type of functionality is fairly trivial for anyone with a little ASP.NET and DNS A record knowledge to implement within a single DASP account without domain pointers.

If you do it yourself in your own code, one of the benefits is that you can url rewrite / redirect to sub applications in a single DASP account any way you like, including keeping the urls short.

6. Hi guys,
    There are several ways to do this here.
    The sub-domains are handy for many accounts but as suggested they are not always handy.
    I have run sites with DASP and had multiple root domains then used them for separate sites.
    With Classic ASP and ASP.NET code siteA.com can be your site default. . .
    When a visitor is sent to siteB.com you can send redirect them via code to siteB.com/B/

Lots of sites do that now and I don't think it looks unprofessional at all.
    The root domains will be kept intact when you redirect.
    Your code can be flexible, as much as is needed for your own likes, with or without sub-domains, all up to the DASP customer.
    All the best,
    Mark